Friday, March 15, 2013

Office Progress: The Desk!

I am being so good!  I am posting another office update in less than three weeks’ time!

When last I left you, this is what we were living with in our “office”…

2013 projects 030

…and we lived with it for a few weeks, waiting for our desk to be completed.

And for a reminder, this was the inspiration photo for our desk:

Houzz Real Life Offices

Oh, it was a happy day when the first pieces arrived!  Due to some scratched paint, it took a while for everything to be delivered.  This piece is the right-side base cabinet.  You can see the decorative venting material on the left side that lets our computer breathe.

2013-03-01 12.43.58

Next a beautiful 6-foot maple desk top was installed…

Red Hen Home desk collage 1

We used a temporary cleat to hold the bridge up…

Red Hen Home desk 4

That was my idea, and I’m very proud of it  Winking smile

Red Hen Home desk 3

It’s coming together!

Red Hen Home office2

Ta-da!

Oh, it’s so pretty.  Even with wires and all (it took another day or so to drill the cord grommets we needed in the desk top).

I love how the bridge is slightly shallower than the shelves on either side.  It gives an interesting depth, but it was murder to cut the crown molding!  Glad I wasn’t the one doing it!

And I stood back and looked at the blue…the yellow…the white….

…and I didn’t like it.

Originally the back of the bookshelves was supposed to be the same light blue as is on the walls, but I chickened out after living with the light blue for a few weeks, and had them painted all white.  I just wasn’t feelin’ the love.

My younger sister was over the night after it was installed, and I made her help me “decorate” the shelves for a couple of hours a little while to see if I would like it better….

Red Hen Home office 1

…and it helped, but not enough.  (No, I didn’t want to drive a nail in my newly painted wall…we were “just playing” with a few things.) 

I finally decided:  something about the blue, the yellow, and the white…reminded me of a baby’s room.

 Not the look I was hoping for.

What’s a girl to do??

***

***

***

***

***

Nothing a little MORE paint can’t fix!

Red Hen Home office navy

Ahh…much better!

Red Hen Home desk 5

…to be continued…

(please forgive the cell phone pictures!  I’ll do better…later)

***************

Desk unit built by Wilson’s Custom Carpentry, serving the Seattle area.

18 comments:

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Love all that desk space and storage, but the new blue is my favorite! It has enough depth to really compliment the golden yellow. It's looking good Korrie!

Jaime Costiglio said...

Korrie it's beautiful, I'm so glad you decided to paint the back of the bookshelves, it looks totally built in and much more cohesive. Great transformation.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new desk. It's beautiful and I'm loving the blue and think it's much better now with the back being painted. Looking forward to seeing the finished room.

Rachel said...

I love it!!! I love the different colors. I love how you did the walls yellow, the wall behind the desk blue, and the white desk.

Those are the colors (sort of) that I hope to re-do my kitchen in. I just love the crisp clean feel of those three colors!

It's gorgeous Korrie!

Cynthia said...

I am lovig this so far the paint color is great and that desk.....WOW.

Cynthia

Lori said...

Great call on the new blue! It looks much better than the pale blue.

Michelle said...

Gorgeous cabinetry... Amazing what paint can do, love the darker blue against the white. Can't wait to see more...

Gypsy Heart said...

LOVE, love the desk! So nice to have the storage space and the shelves. I like the blue against the pure white...great job!

xo
Pat

Full Circle Creations said...

It looks great! My favorite color has always been blue and I've been using it a lot lately! You picked a great shade of blue!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It's beautiful, Korrie! It's a real nice piece and it looks like you've got lots of storage. Love all the display space, too.

Cassie Bustamante said...

i LOVE it!!!!! i looks amazing! you guys are so good. so so good.

Bliss said...

Yup the painted backs is working for me too. I'll set the book down till the next chapter is ready.

Bliss

Anonymous said...

Korrie, looks FAB!
Actually~it looks quite ELegant!
Catherine

My Repurposed Life said...

Korrie--what a fabulous piece of furniture! Love that desk. I'm liking the dark blue against the white!
can't wait to see more.
gail

Homeroad said...

You made the perfect decision switching to the darker blue throughout! That is one awesome piece of furniture! Can't wait to see the rest....
Susan

Unknown said...

Oh yeah! LOVE that blue. You did great!

CathyMik said...

Hi,
Love the new shelves and computer desk. Especially love the dark blue. I followed the link from the little desk and chair you painted the same colour. In neither post is there any information on the paint (i.e. colour, sheen, company, etc.). Is this information you share or do you prefer not to. I've been looking for a "nice" dark blue so I'm collecting all the information I can until I find the perfect one. Thanks for your time,
Cathy

Unknown said...

Hi, I am looking for a cabinet company to purchase home office online. Did you purchase your cabinets online? if so, who did you use? I am looking for a reputable company. Did you get your bookshelves from the same company? is it all wood? Thanks for the info.

Tahra West
twest70@gmail.com