Wednesday, September 8, 2010

New treasures

I celebrated my birthday a couple of weeks ago, at the end of August. Every year my husband asks, "What do you want?" Every year I reply, "Money for Swiss Days!" It's the best kind of tradition! What is Swiss Days, you ask?? Only the biggest and best craft show/market in Utah! It happens every year on the Friday & Saturday of Labor Day weekend, in beautiful Midway Utah.

This year I got to go with my 13-year-old daughter and my sister. My sister and I both fell in love with these preserved gourds. I understand it is a long, nasty process to get them this way!

I love the warty yellow one!

I moved the platter that was on top of my bookshelves (seen here) onto my buffet to hold the gourds. Do you see the pretty "B" hanging on my old mirror? That is one of Miss Mustard Seed's creations! I fell in love with her German-glass-glittered letters from her Luckett's booth, and she was kind enough to send some to Utah for me!




Here is my whole "buffet-scape." The tall candleholder on the left used to be black. I bought it at a wonderful local consignment store, after admiring its texture and heft (seriously, it could be a weapon) for weeks. I finally decided I was going to be sad if I ever went in and found it gone. The candleholder on the right came from Savers. Both of them got a coat of Heirloom White paint, and little antiquing glaze.

I had some burlap left over from an un-photographed lampshade project. I cut a piece the size of my buffet top, and frayed the edges. I would have like it to drape over the edges, but there wasn't that much left over!

The pretty piece of curved glass with the vinyl lettering is something I won at an open house in the spring. Well, actually my 6-year-old daughter won it...but I haven't told her that yet!


HookingupwithHoH
Photobucket

4 comments:

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Oh, it looks great in your arrangement. I wouldn't have thought to hang it by a ribbon! I would've glittered the back side for you, if I knew it was going on a mirror. :)

. said...

Nice display!!

I had to laugh at "but I haven't told her yet"!! That sounds like something I would do!! :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful and your gourds are fabulous. I am curious as to the process now.

Jill said...

I'm loving the burlap runner and the frayedness of it!