Thursday, September 2, 2010

I am SO not a decorator...

Fall is popping up all over the blogging world! It is my favorite time of year. I love the changing colors, and I *love* the cooling temperatures! I am not a summer person. In fact, I don't think I can even be a summer-decorating person! I love looking at pictures of all those beach-y cottage-y homes in the whites and pale blues...but it is just not me. I am a fall person all the way!

But...I haven't gotten out my pumpkins yet! And I do have a few (not many). But before I do get them out, I thought I might as well show a couple of things as they are right now--as long as you promise to understand that I am NOT a decorator! I am an engineer by training, a wife and mother and homeschooler by choice (most days), and a furniture painter by happy accident!

Do you remember this table that I painted? Well, it's still sitting right where I took the picture. I couldn't bear to sell it, and my husband has learned to walk around it! This is what it looks like today (crooked pictures and all):

I fell for the numbering craze along with everyone else! The tiny planters were $.25/each at Target. They used to be bright colors; I painted them black. I think Hobby Lobby supplied the greenery. The numbers were cut out of cardstock by my Cricut, and I used spray adhesive to attach them to the little planters. And the birds? Yep, they're from Dollar Tree. These were some of my first ever spray-painting projects!

The little galvanized metal & glass cloche was a garage-sale find. I am madly in love with it! (Don't tell my husband!) My daughter doesn't understand why I put one of a set of plants under it...I don't know why either. I just like it!


I also love these scales. The first one I bought is the one on the right, with the eagle on top. It was ugly brass when I found it, but I loved the shape of the thing. I sprayed it with Krylon's Oil-Rubbed Bronze spray paint, and it found a home on top of my bookshelves. The one on the front right came from DI--it got the same treatment. The one in the back (in its own case) was an auction find. I paid more for it than the other two put together--and I think I like it the least. Serves me right for getting caught up in auction fever!


Besides not being a decorator, I am also NOT a photographer. Regardless, here's the whole top of the bookshelf. I'm still not in love with it. I kind of scrambled to get some things up there after Christmas, and I'm not crazy about everything. I love the metal urn on the left, and the white urn on the right. They are old things I found at a local consignment shop, and they spoke to me. I like the tray and the platter, but I purchased those new, so they don't have the same appeal to me. Is it because I know 764 other people have the same things? Maybe.


Here's a picture I tried without the flash. It really is much prettier (and less out-of focus) in person!

Maybe I need to take a photography class!



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

6 comments:

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I love your console table and the way you decorated it! Not a decorator? Phhhht! You couldn't prove it by me. I'm going to be followin' you. By the way, I homeschool too.

Jenni said...

Hi Korrie~

What? You aren't a decorator? I disagree! :) I love the glass cloche with the plant inside, and the little planter that you painted and numbered! :)

I found your blog through My Repurposed Life, and am so glad I did! I am a follower now!

Blessings,
Jenni
beautifulnest.blogspot.com

Keetha Broyles said...

Looks like decorating to me!!! You go girl.

Jessica said...

Who are you kidding? You know how to decorate. I like what you have done.

Thanks for checking out my wooden candy corn on my blog. I love comments!

Jessica @ mattjesssicapope.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Looks perfectly fine to me!! Me thinks..... you CAN decorate. And very well at that.

The Clay Trowel said...

You don't give yourself enough credit! It looks great. I just posted 10 EASY decorating tips. I think you'll enjoy reading it.

http://creativejuicesdecor.blogspot.com/2011/02/10-easy-home-decorating-tips.html

Came from Remodelaholic - the table is fantastic!