Friday, September 10, 2010

Finally, more furniture!

I feel as if I have been having withdrawal pains...homeschooling has been VERY hard on my furniture refinishing! But I finished this cute little project this week, and that makes me feel better. This was a custom job for a sweet neighbor of mine. She wanted a cute desk to go in her daughter's bedroom, and wouldn't you know it...I happened to have one in my garage!

Of course, it wasn't that cute to begin with...

The top had definitely seen better days. And the hardware...bleeahhh.

But there was no denying it had cute details! I love the trim between the drawers, the pretty curved front, and the chunky turned legs.

Now the desk has been painted a high-gloss white. That did not turn out to be my favorite paint! It required *12 hours* between coats.

The glossier the paint, the more imperfections show up. I put two coats on it, but there were still too many flaws. I re-sanded it, re-primed it, and re-painted it. There's really nothing to do about it in the end--it's always going to be an old desk! But it looks much better now.


The hardware was all replaced to match another piece of furniture in the bedroom (you can catch a glimpse on the right, above). I love the pretty brushed silver handles. However, the holes definitely did NOT match up! Thank goodness for wood filler!


By now I'm sure it's full of crayons, coloring books, and other paraphernalia. My friend tells me her daughter loves it. She calls it her "homework!"



Furniture Feature Fridays
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Photobucket
The DIY Show Off

5 comments:

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Is there anything white paint can't fix? Your desk looks so cute~well done!

Unknown said...

Beautiful!
I just found your blog the other day and am having fun looking at some of your past projects! I love the white desk, it has great details and I love the hardware you picked.

Have a great weekend!

Nate and Gina said...

LOVE YOU KORRIE! And we love the desk! Thanks for all the hard work! You're the BEST!!! Alex still calls it her "homework". I can't convince her it's called a desk! lol! :)

Kelly said...

Lovely! Great job!

Rachel said...

You're right. I love the details in the desk. Why isn't furniture made like it used to be? It's the details that make it....