Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Curliques & Bin Pulls

Oh, those gorgeous bin pulls. I just love 'em. They are generally so expensive, but I lucked out when I found these at Cripe Distributing: 25 oil-rubbed-bronze bin pulls for $14. I ordered them before I even knew what I wanted to do with them...but then I saw this desk at The Frosted Gardner:


Isn't it pretty? And wouldn't you know it, I just happened to have a similar desk just waiting for me to do something with it in the garage.

Alas, I didn't remember to take a "before" picture...yet again. It was a run-of-the-mill brown desk.

But now...


I like it much better! I found a quart of "oops" gray paint at Home Depot: $1, baby! Gotta love that.

The desk has this pretty "curlique" embellishment around the top. I flirted with the idea of filling it all in with wood-filler, until I took another look around the garage and saw this chair:


"Hmm..." I thought to myself. "Curlique on the desk. Curlique on the chair. Must be fate!"


So naturally the chair had to be painted the same as the desk. And of course all of the yucky gold pulls were replaced with beautiful bin pulls!


I glazed them both with black to make those curliques pop! Getting glaze in all those indentations is actually a whole lot easier than trying to paint them neatly! (Like I tried to do on this desk...don't look too closely!)


I love that the back of this desk is as pretty as the front. It doesn't have to sit next to a wall. The recessed panels on the sides and back are so pretty. In fact, even the knee space is pretty (not that anyone will be seeing that)!

HookingupwithHoH

Show and Tell Green

Furniture Feature Fridays

8 comments:

Chrissie said...

Your desk is gorgeous. You did an excellent makeover! I love the pulls too!

Rachel said...

Are you keeping or selling this one??

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

This turned out wonderful!I have a desk like that, too, that I redid for my daughter's room. I was still new at the glazing thing, so I don't like it all that much..might change it again. I have not posted that one yet, but after seeing how pretty yours is, I don't even know if I should!

Envymycooking said...

Such a cute desk. love it. we would love for you to be featured with this. all you need to do is become a follower of our site than email us and will set it up to a post and link it back to your blog

Jen T said...

Beautiful piece! You did a great job.

Atticmag said...

Gray is the perfect color for the desk. How great you have one that is made to go in the center of a room and not against the walls. Love the finished back. Jane F.

The Frosted Gardner said...

This turned out gorgeous! You are right - I think they are sister desks - very similiar. This really is charming. Another great job from Red hen Home!

Glenda @ Magnolia Bend Drive said...

This looks so pretty. I really like the hardward you choose, and the oops grey paint. Your work inspires me!