Saturday, September 11, 2010

Dressing table to Entry table

A couple of weeks ago I hit the most marvelous garage sale--one of those I wasn't even looking for, but just happened upon. This is one of the treasures I found.


This little dressing table was dirty beyond belief; it had dark circles on the top, the pretty trimming on the left side was loose, there was veneer loose.... and on it went. It didn't matter; for $10 I was hooked! In the pictures you're seeing, it actually has been cleaned up quite a bit. This thing had spiderwebs everywhere--including behind the pulls! Ugh!!

After lots of sanding, glue, and patience, I got it in pretty decent condition. There were still spots where the veneer was kind of "flaky." My best guess it that this little table sat outside for a considerable amount of time.


I decided to go with classic black for this piece. Here on the left side is where the veneer was the worst. Rather than try to disguise it, I roughed it up a bit more than usual with sandpaper to accentuate all that "natural" distressing!



Here's the big picture. Although it's certainly not in perfect condition, it has a charm all it's own. It could serve as a desk, but one would have to have a pretty small chair to fit underneath of it. I think those old dressing tables almost always had a bench instead. I think it would make a much better entry table.

It found a new owner today...the funny thing is that I think the new owner is going to paint over it! Apparently she couldn't resist those lovely curves any more than I could!



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Photobucket
The DIY Show Off

12 comments:

Pamela said...

It looks lovely! You did a great job and for just $10! WhooHoo!

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I love the lines on this piece, and that original hardware. It looks great in black!

KimMalk said...

What a nice transformation. It looks really "rough" in those before photos.

Marianne said...

Great makeover! And good on you that you have already found a new home for it.

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

What a shame that she's going to paint over it! I LOVE it black. :)

ArtfullyJune said...

Wow, I love this. Great makeover.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my aqua organizer.

cushy said...

i like the legs on this piece. great transformation.

Rachel said...

That is EXACTLY what I keep telling myself lately. Curves are good!! ;)

kathie said...

It looks fabulous! I love that you went with the flaking, rather than trying to make it perfect. Celebrate the piece & all of it's history :) You did a great job! I'm your newest follower!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I love the legs on this piece. Oh I would have snatched it up too for $10! That was as a steal.

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

What a lovely piece! Great job.

Jen T said...

Great job! I love pieces like this!